[nabs-l] Blindness and Identity

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 05:27:33 UTC 2010

I really hope there's a better term than "mixed" for a blind-sighted
relationship, but at this hour I can't come up with one and will use
it for the purposes of brevity!

I used to think that I couldn't see myself marrying another blind
person. I used to think about all the practical implications: well
what if I want to travel in a remote place for a vacation, and the
only way to get around is via car? Or how will I raise kids if I can't
watch them in order to give them independence? And the list goes on.
That's all in past tense for a reason.

Thanks to what all of you in the NFB have taught me over the last many
years, I now see blindness or vision as a non-issue for relationships.
There are far more important characteristics to think about. On the
parenting issue, Melissa & Mark Riccobono's teleconference clarified
many issues for me and erased many of the misconceptions I held about
my own abilities. I've also seen lots of blind-blind relationships
(and marriages!) and how effective they can be...just as effective as
sighted-sighted or "mixed" relationships...and that's changed my
opinion.

So, Jedi, I believe that a predisposition by a blind person to think
that he/she wants to marry a sighted person can be a misconception
about the abilities of the blind. I don't think it has anything to do
with social skills -- for me, it was about the practical implications
of living in a sighted world as a blind person.

-Corbb