[nabs-l] canes and increasing sensation of blindness

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 00:37:15 UTC 2010

Hi Gerardo,
First, i agree with everyone else about cane use  while using sighted
guide. As for the second part of your email. I was born in colombia,
and so I am very aware of how blindness is viewed in Hispanic/Latino
countries. For the most part your own family members will most likely
encourage you to not use your cane, preferring that you use your
sighted cousins, brothers, sisters and other relatives you guide you
around. You have two choices, either you go with the flow, or you
decide to take your independence in your own hands and choose to use
your cane. In America, it is true that the Federation has done quite a
lot of positive work as far as social views are concerned, however, I
know everyone on this list comes across someone 5 out of 7 days in the
week who are simply amazed that they can walked on their own, or who
will grab them terrified that a blind person is actually walking. So,
no matter where you are, you are always goign to come across this
conflict. Using your cane is a loud and clear announcement that you
are blind and that you can't hide it. But think about it, how much
better can you hide it when you don't use it? What will people think
when you just walk around hesitantly, stumbling along, or running into
things? They might not think your blind, but that you have something
seriously wrong with you. It's important for us to be very comfortable
with our blindness, to accept it, and accepting your cane is a very
good step. The more comfortable you feel, the more comfortable others
will feel too. I know the stigma that comes along with it, when i came
to the U.S. I absolutely detested my cane. But back in the 1940s when
the Federation first began, I know that every blind person here felt
the same way, it took someone to accept their blindness, to defy
society's view that blind people cannot do anything more
intellectually stringent than making chairs, for any change to come
along.
Hope this helps.
Mary

--