[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Mon May 3 09:05:25 UTC 2010

I am confused by the comments that Federation philosophy has been lost
because of the fundraising and technology-based projects that our
national office is working on. Those are two important projects, but
our leadership in Baltimore is doing more than those. We have lawyers
who are working to ensure we can take advantage of the same
opportunities as the sighted; our governmental affairs team is working
on our legislative priorities, including touch-screen kiosks and quiet
cars; our education team continues to bring blind youth into the
organization to show them that the possible career paths are
limitless; our affiliate action team is working to strengthen the
chapters and affiliates we have while finding new members and starting
new chapters; and the list goes on.

Yes, we are working on lots of priorities and projects, but each of
them is backed by our philosophy on blindness. I don't understand how
our philosophy is primarily for the banners -- it seems to me that the
projects on which we work are effective precisely because of the
philosophy. We aren't developing a car that the blind can drive just
because it's fun or the technology is there, but we are working on
this project because we believe that the blind are entitled to full,
equal participation in society. Driving is one of those ways to
participate. Am I a little scared by the idea of a bunch of blind
people in cars on city streets? A little. But I'm confident that, just
like when we teach people to use a chainsaw at the National Center, we
will make sure that the skills are taught in a way that maximizes
safety, confidence, and independence all at the same time.

I would love to hear, Joe, why you say that the Federation won't exist
in 50 years. To me, our work is timeless because our philosophy is our
guiding light.

--Corbb