[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:44:43 UTC 2010

Well, if we're going to specifically hone in on whether or not the NABS
board is full of people who are working hard to change things, this too is
debatable.  A few good weapons in that arcenal for sure.  Yet, they did
choose to run and put themselves out there, and that does demand a certain
level of respect.  Remember I do not blame the lack of progress on a
complacent board but rather on the various political and logistical factors
that make progress so slow.  That is the fault of the political environment
of the organization, not just the individuals.  Unfortunately, I do not
think a thorough understanding of the history would help the student
division.  It would certainly help individuals with their level of
appreciation, but in a world of the NFB where if it don't make dollars it
don't make sense, we need results, not just good feelings.  From a purely
neutral standpoint, the model the NFB has constructed for itself is almost
brilliant.  Me, I joined to help individuals, and I'm doing that in my local
area on my spare time one agency consumer I randomly meet at a time.  It's
not that moneymakers aren't necessary and crucial to the movement.  It's
that the movement has given way to too many moneymakers.  I'll raise funds
because that's somehow where my career has landed me, but I want the funds I
raise to go to state and local programs where measurable goals are met.

Joe

database 5082 (20100503) __________

http://www.eset.com