[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 17:50:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

You make some very valid points. I find that the best ways to learn
about the past of the NFB (which is anything before 2008 for me) is by
reading previous Braille Monitor articles, as you said. Specifically,
there was an article within the last year...I'm not sure when exactly,
but it was republished from an edition of the Slate and Style. It was
basically a speech given by Mrs. Jernigan to a group of writers, about
the beginning of the Braille Monitor. It was very interesting. I also
find the Kernel books to be a great reminder of the past, and I have a
few books I got from Bookshare about Dr. Ten-Brooks and Dr. Jernigan
(please excuse any bad spelling of names), both of whom I am sure we
can all say the NFB would not truly be here without. If you haven't
read the Kernel books yet, go to the Independenc Market and order
some! They are free, and available in large print, tape (2 or 4 track)
or Braille. I have a number of them in  Braille, which I will
certainly pass on when I'm finished...well, maybe, or maybe I'll just
keep them to read over and over.

Sometime, I'll do some work and make a list of the top 20 most
important topics of the NFB since its beginning...or something like
that. I'll list it here when I get to it.

~Jewel