[nabs-l] canes and increasing sensation of blindness

Rania raniaismail04 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 19:47:32 UTC 2010

I use my cane as well.
Rania,

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jewel S.
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 12:42 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] canes and increasing sensation of blindness

Hi,

I use my cane while holding someone's arm all the time. However, I do not
consider it "sighted guide" so much as keeping with my friend who knows the
way...especially since the person who usually does this with me is my
legally blind boyfriend. I hold his arm for balance primarily, and to keep
track of where he is, as I have no peripheral vision. As we walk, he might
point things out to me that I would miss with my cane no matter what (the
mailboxes that stick out at head-height, the wet branches in front of my
face, etcetra). I use my cane so he can concentrate on where we are going
and things in front of us. I find the curbs and steps on my own, and
sometimes if the light is too low, I find curbs and such for the both of us,
as he is not as good with the cane (lack of practice!).

I find that if I take someone's arm, I am far less likely to learn the
route. I have done entire routes on someone's arm that, looking back, I
couldn't tell you the first thing. This is partly because of my poor memory,
but also because when I hold someone's arm, unless I'm in charge of
navigation (which does occur sometimes), I let that work go, and concentrate
more on balance, what my cane is finding, and sounds.
I can enjoy myself a bit better this way.

Personally, I think holding someone's arm and using a cane at the same time
is perfectly fine. That's just my opinion, so feel free to shoot me down,
but that won't stop me from doing it myself! I don't like to put all the
responsibility on the other person, no matter how good a guide they
are...though there is one exception. My O&M instructor would do sighted
guide with me to get quickly to a location, and my cane just got in his way,
and he was very good at guiding (he better be, since he teaches other people
how to be sighted guides, too!), so I allow my cane to remain at my side,
ready to pull out if I should need it, but I put my trust in him.

~Jewel

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/raniaismail04%40gmai
l.com