[nabs-l] canes and increasing sensation of blindness

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon May 3 19:52:21 UTC 2010

For whatever it is worth, I will use my cane but also take the arm of another totally blind person, or have him or her take my arm depending upon preference.  In that
case, the point isn't for anyone to necessarily lead or follow.  Rather, I find it easier to carry on a conversation if we are following the same path.  If I take a sighted
persons arm, I also always use my cane so they are not having to worry about steps and curbs on my behalf.  Since I don't depend upon them for that information, I
also tend to walk next to them rather than slightly behind them, which also makes conversation easier.  I really don't know why it is advocated that one either go
sighted guide completely or use a cane.  I find the two to complement each other well.

I also have observed that I do not learn a new route as well if I am hanging on to someone's arm even if I use my cane.  It is an interesting thing, but walking
completely alone apparently heightens my awareness even beyond what I might expect.  Particularly when I am trying to learn where something is, I will ask for
directions or follow, without hanging on although I'll usually explain that it makes it easier for me to learn.