[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots. And, examining the tree and the forest

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 08:51:27 UTC 2010

Joe,
I so
 Completely agree with your post , particularly concerning making people
feel bad for not attending training centers (as if they are somehow
lacking).  I have noticed that it is more or less assumed, in some cases,
that if someone is blind and has not gone to a training center (NFB or not),
then they are necessarily less competent, etc.  I have always said that life
is what you make of it, and the most value you gain from any experience, be
that at a training center or through living life in its various stages, is a
different perspective.  It is said that there cannot possibly be any new
ideas, as all of the ideas have already been thought of by someone before
you.  In this case, a new idea is not what is needed (do this, don't do
that, and so forth), but a new perspective.  Change your perspective and you
will change your world.

It may sound selfish to some, but I say if you first live for yourself and
then live to help others you will be on the right track, because you are no
good to anyone if you are not first comfortable within your own skin, and
first take care of your needs.  No organization should become your life,
whether that it religious, advocacy, or what have you.  You should have your
family, your profession (work) life, and then things about which you are
passionate (cancer groups, NFB, helping children, etc).  This should fall in
with this category.  If blindness is a characteristic, then I am going to
live my life to show this; it makes me very angry when people make out like
I am responsible to all blind people in the world to raise money, promote
this or that program, and so forth.  And, I have to freely admit that part
of this is the fact that I do not like anything which resembles
unquestioning obedience or fellowship -- that is to say, I take what I need
from such things and leave the rest.  I do not hold as closely to the church
of my childhood for this reason, but that is a discussion for another time.
The same is with the NFB.  We are never told where they get their
statistics, but are just expected to accept them unquestioningly as true and
accurate.  Once I got in college and began to question things around me, I
realized how ridiculous many things are in the world, and religion was one
(again, different discussion, as it has absolutely no relevance here), and
that led me to think about how so many people never question what they are
taught, and just accept it with no proof.  The other thing is this:
organizations love buzzwords.  They love to throw them around, and they
write their literature, deliver their speeches, and promote their programs
with the clear message that they, and they alone have the answer and are
right, and anyone who disagrees is stupid.  This is a common thread with
organizations/religious groups, if you notice.  The point I want to
emphasize is the "we have the answers," part.  My basic thing I like to
remember about people is this:  Everyone thinks they're right, everyone
knows best, everyone always has the answer, and no one can disagree or
you're stupid.  This goes for individuals as well as groups.  And, then
again, maybe I'm just scinical, bitter, and all the rest of it.  But these
are only my thoughts.

Thanks for your time.