[nabs-l] NFB Statistics

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 21:04:48 UTC 2010

Jordan,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I may simply do a little digging -- again, just
out of curiosity.  I think it is bad practice for the NFB to spout off
statistics without giving folks the source.  Now maybe I spent too much time
in college writing papers and citing sources, but these are my thoughts.

And my degree was in Spanish, not statistics, but I think it is a very bad
idea to throw around numbers with no basis.  And I say throw them around
because often people quote these figures, perhaps without thinking about if
they are, which is what most people do with facts and figures, I've noticed,
and may (or may not) stop to consider that they could have changed slightly.
How long, for example, has the NFB been at 50000 members?  Has this not
increased at all?  Seven hundred chapters and 52 affiliates?  Are there
really no other chapters being started, anywhere?

Again, not trying to start any sort of debate, but rather pointing out a
couple of things which I've noticed and have always bugged me.  And this
only marginally has to do with the NFB -- I have these same thoughts and
feelings about all different areas of life, just so no one things this is an
NFB specific issue.

Have an awesome day,

Harry Hogue