[nabs-l] NFB Statistics

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun May 9 14:26:45 UTC 2010

Good question Harry. I believe the statistics that show that fluent Braille
readers are twice a likely to be employed as large-print readers was done By
Dr. Ruby Ryles. She has a couple of studies. The references Amy gives are
very good. AFB also has statistics on a variety of things. The statistic
that says that only 10% of blind children are reading Braille comes from APH
and the federal quota census. Every year for the last over 40, of all the
blind students counted (that would be those who meet the legal definition
only) it is very regular that only approx ten percent are listed as having
Braille as their primary reading media...They have records back over 100
years...in the 1960's and the percentages of children reading Braille was
much higher and began to dramatically drop and has stayed at the miserable
low levels they are.

There was a good article in the Braille Monitor a year or two or three ago
on the unemployment rate you mention~it actually discussed your very
concerns and gave a good argument for not using the typical 70-75% we often
use...if you just typed the words unemployment rate, and etc. in the search
engine of NFB website I am sure you could find it.  Also a good article to
read if you think there can not be any questioning...:-) Carrie

  _____