[nabs-l] Sociaolizing Part2

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Thu May 13 01:41:59 UTC 2010

Well, for those of us not able to attend training centers to learn how
to cut one's own meat, let me offer you a description of the procedure
that I offered to another Federationist asking the same question. It
reads as follows:

If it were me, I'd practice cutting meat before heading out to the
restaurant. This can be done with a pancake or something similar. The
best technique I know for cutting meat and similar items is as follows.

1. start by getting a sense of the object's shape and location in
relationship to other items on the plate. You can do this by gently
tracing the object with the tines of the fork or with the blade of the
knife you're about to cut it with.

2. Find, if at all possible, the pointiest bit of the object you're
about to cut. If you are cutting a mostly round object, then just
choose some old spot near the edge to start.

3. Stick the tines of the fork a short distance from the edge of the
object. You want a bite-sized piece, so start with about an inch or so
That's 2.54 centimeters for some folks. If that seems too big, go
smaller until you find a bite size that's perfect for you.

4. With the blade of the knife, cut around the fork tines. How far you
cut around the tines depends on the object itself and the distance from
the object's edge you've chosen. Sometimes, it helps to put the knife
edge as close to the tines as possible so you have continueous tactile
contact without the tines actually getting in the way.

5. Eat the bite you've created. If it's too heavy on the way to your
mouth, feel free to cut it in half. Don't forget that sighted people
sometimes cut bites too big for them as well, so don't be embarrassed
if this happens on occasion.

6. Restart the process. This time, having cut your first piece will
allow you to find a pointy bit of the object where you can stick the
tines of the fork. Repeat this process until your object is gone.

7. When cutting salad or pasta, run the blade of your knife through the
dish widthwise across the pasta. If it's salad, cut widthwise and then
lengthwise. Use your judgement on how necessary this really is.

8. Practice, practice, practice. Do this sort of thing at home as often
as you can for maximum practice. Blindfold yourself if you have vision
because it's not polite to have your face in your food even if you are
trying to see what you're cutting.

Respectfully,
Jedi