[nabs-l] Sociaolizing Part2

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 01:51:19 UTC 2010

Quick note...if you are at a restaurant, it is perfectly acceptable to
order food cut prior to reaching the table. The cooks have a quick and
easy way of cutting meat and such, and it is not a burden nor is it a
rare request. So if you're out at a restaurant, just ask for the cook
to have the food cut before it comes to the table. No one will think
anything of it. This is good for while you are learning how to cut
your food, and even for after you learn if at a fancy restaurant and
you don't trust yourself to keep food on the plate (sometimes, because
of my nerve pain and shaking, I have a lot of trouble cutting food, so
I still get it pre-cut at times).

As for rides, yes, you should be the one to ask. However, if you have
other transportation, such as city buses, paratransit services, or
your two feet, you should consider thesese as well. Don't put all the
weight of your transportation on your friends and family. Learn the
bus routes to the places you go most, and learn about other
transporation options. There is a book called "How to Live Well
Without Owning a Car." It is available from the NLS BARD website in
digital audio format, and is very useful. It is written for anyone who
doesn't have a car, so ignore the section about car-sharing, since
obviously you can't share a car you can't drive. But the rest of it is
pretty relevant, and I found it useful. Ride-sharing and chipping in
gas money or bartering (You could do your laundry at my house, if I
could get a ride to the grocery store once a month when you go).
Another book, "Finding Wheels" (also available from NLS) is intended
more for adolescents with special needs, but I found it relevant to my
life as well. Being independent enought to get places without relying
on your friends or family will make it easier to go wherever you want,
when you want. And your friends will be more likely to give you a ride
if it's not every time you want to go somewhere.

My two cents,
Jewel