[nabs-l] [nfbcs] Very Preliminary Impressions of the Mac

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu May 13 15:50:52 UTC 2010

Joe,

This is good stuff, and I, for one, really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.  Do you know which version of the operating system you were
using?  My understanding is that there have been improvements with respect to VoiceOver's method of handling check boxes and such in the latest version, I think
10.7, but don't know the details.

>From what I gather, web browsing on the MAC is significantly enough different that it takes time to really understand how to deal with web pages effectively.  If I ever
get the chance to really spend some time on the MAC, I would probably want to talk to some people experienced with the MAC to find out how they handle certain
tasks.  I know that there are a few MAC users here as well and hope they chime in.

Your point that MACs are different than PC's is a good one and I have found I have to be careful making assumptions.  For example, when my daughter got her
MAC, she mentioned TextEdit.  I assumed that TextEdit was a text editor.  This seems like a reasonable assumption given the name, but as I'm sure you already
know, it is not.  It is a reasonably powerful word processor that is included with the operating system.  As far as I can tell, it is a good deal more powerful than
WordPad.

What do your fellow employees use for word processing?  I am told that Open Office works reasonably well with VoiceOver but that Microsoft Word for the MAC
does not.

I also think that the issue of VoiceOver being included free is something potential buyers have to be careful of as a reason to choose a MAC over a PC.  It is
included free, there is no doubt of that, and Apple should be commended for what they are doing.  However, it appears to me that you still pay a good deal more for
a MAC than a PC, and while buying a screen reader for a PC will certainly wipe out the difference, the total cost of each becomes less of an issue in my opinion.
You would be very hard pressed to buy a PC with JFW without paying a good deal more than you would pay for a MAC, but buying a PC with one of the less
expensive screen readers might be cheaper in some cases and the accessibility you get could be similar to what you get with VoiceOver.  One really needs to
decide if
their interests and/or their environment make using a MAC the way to go.  Being able to make such a choice is a very positive step, though, and I am not minimizing
that in the least.  It is very significant that we now have this option.

Thanks again for sharing this information.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson