[nabs-l] [nfbcs] Very Preliminary Impressions of the Mac

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu May 13 18:03:34 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

I am the only PC user in our office.  I get made fun of all the time for not
being one of the cool kids.  Aside from a worthy learning curve, I have not
seriously made a change up to this point because:

1. JAWS may have its quirks, but I have found more than 90 percent of the
applications I use are more than 90 percent accessible.  Those applications
that are not very accessible straight out of the download I have usually
found a script or two to rectify the issue.  I am worried that with a
built-in screen reader I am limited to what the manufacturer deems a core
essential.  Once I teach myself how to script I imagine I'll be able to
extend JAWS beyond its current ability.

2. I have major beef with Freedom Scientific, but I appreciate the updates
between major upgrades to address bugs.  Updates in Mac do not necessarily
mean updates in Voiceover.

3. Price.  With Apple you really are tied to a limited variety of laptops.
With a PC you can typically shop around and grab a decent system for well
below the Mac price range.

Now, as my exploration continues I may find these points are minor or maybe
even non-existent.  The Mac Book Pro I handled did not have the latest
update, and so perhaps some of my less favorable observations would have
been cleared up, and there is also the matter of the length of time I had to
play with the technology.  You're not going to fall in love with another
operating system in one day.  For now I can only say it was most definitely
not love at first sight.

MS Office is currently not accessible with the Mac, though this is supposed
to change later this year.  The same is true of Firefox.  I understand
Google Docs are also supposed to be already accessible with Voiceover and
Safari.  I can only offer that as hearsay as I did not even think to test
this while I was in front of the laptop.

I'll write more as I continue exploring.  My only pointer up to this point
is to find someone who can allow you to use the Mac at your own pace.  An
Apple store is not the best environment to test out a system.

Best,

Joe