[nabs-l] To Charter or Not to Charter

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 17 19:09:07 UTC 2010

Hello Steve and everyone,

    While still more costly than traveling on the airlines private air
charter does have advantages over this traditional mode of air
transportation. Air taxis are bringing the cost of private air travel down
to within range of individuals or small groups who want to fly to airports
closer to their final destination, to avoid many of the problems faced by
blind airline passengers and passengers in general, and have a superior air
travel experience.

    If there are small groups of federationists willing to depart and return
to the same airports this is an exciting new direction we can take when
traveling by air. If each member of a group pays a portion of the cost or if
fundraisers are undertaken to finance such a venture it is possible to enjoy
a privilege once reserved only for the rich and famous.

    My experience with Southwest Airlines last year fired our interest in
finding another way to fly particularly as we were facing issues that fell
outside of the blindness realm. Ten years ago the late Michael C. Osborn
made it his personal crusade to insure that those who used guide dogs could
bring them in to the United Kingdom without the dog's having to undergo the
long six-month quarantine period and to be able to accompany its owner in
the aircraft cabin on the inbound leg of the trip. This campaign was later
joined by many in the assistance dog community including the NFB. His
campaign was a smashing success. It is now possible to bring guide dogs to
the UK that meet the eligibility rules for entry under the UK'S Pet Travel
Scheme without the dog needing to undergo quarantine and guide dogs can
accompany blind persons in the airplane cabin on both legs of their trip to
the UK. It was possible to have a guide dog accompany its blind owner in the
plane cabin when flying in to the UK aboard an air charter before it became
possible to do so on a scheduled airline.

    In Mike's spirit as a result of what happened last summer I made it my
personal crusade to seek out a new direction when it comes to traveling by
air and want to urge others to consider this possibility particularly if you
live in areas with airports not served by the airlines. This may not be
practical for every situation but it's another option to consider.

Peter Donahue