[nabs-l] NLS Accessibility in Other Countries

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:17:41 UTC 2010

If you are registered with the BARD website, then you can download
your books no matter where you are, so a U.S. citizen living abroad
(having registered while in the U.S.) or on vacation would be able to
download books from the BARD website no matter where they are, as long
as they have an internet connection.

Other countries have their own audible book program. I think it should
be allowed that people of other countries could download books from
other countries' programs for a per-book fee or an annual subscription
fee, provided they are registered with their home country's program
(have to be blind or physically handicapped) and provided they meet
that country's requirements (for example, in one country, legal
blindness  may be 20/100 and in the U.S. it is 20/200, or another
country may allow legal blindness include blind in one eye...these
people would not be eligible for the U.S. program, however). Does this
make sense?

~Jewel