[nabs-l] History of the NFB

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Oct 30 20:32:03 UTC 2010

Minh,

First of all, it's wonderful to see you on the NABS list. I hope you're
doing well; can you believe it's been over a year since Youth Slam?

As to the history of the NFB, Walking Alone and Marching Together
catalogs our history from 1940 to 1990 through banquet speeches and
other related documents. From 1990 to 1998, there's a book called The
Master, The Mission, and the Movement. This book is all Jernigan
speeches, but it gives a sense of where we went during the 90's. For
more recent history, you could utilize Presidential reports written by
Dr. Maurer to fill in those gaps. I think Jernigan also wrote some
Presidential reports that you could use. If you want direct documents,
consider the Braille Monitor, Presidential releases, Presidential
reports, and whatever docs the National Center can release to you. I'd
call the Jacobus tenBroek Library and talk to Ed to see what else you
can get. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you could even talk to
some national staff about matters of interest to get their perspectives
since they were actually there during much of our history. I know Dr.
Maurer's been actively involved since the late 60's. I want to say 69.
There's also a book on tenBroek called Blind Justice that can tell you
about what led to his founding the movement in the first place. And for
a bunny trail, you may consider reading People of vision from the ACB
as it tells much about the Federation and how non-Federationists felt
about us during what's known as The Civil War. Jerry Whittle from the
Louisiana Center for the Blind is also a great resource on NFB history.
Finally, keep in touch with the Living History group as we've been
archiving more recent events in the NFB. There's also a book called The
Blind Doctor. While it focuses on Jacob Bolotin, there's also some
discussion of what life was like for blind job seekers during the early
1900's through the 1930's; this discussion sets the tone and backdrop
for Dr. Bolotin and his story, but it's also one of the main reasons we
got the Federation started in the first place. Good luck.

I'm sorry I can't be of help on the virtual high school thing. But one
way to get your questions answered is to talk with both our NFB
technology team and the technologists at the institution of your
choosing. Between the two groups, I'm sure you can get something worked
out and/or test for accessibility/make necessary changes to the
platform for your use. Again, good luck.

I'm excited to hear more about your A.P. project and hope you fill us
in on your progress from time to time.

Respectfully Yours,
Jedi Moerke