[nabs-l] Personal aides and other services in school

Maryann Migliorelli mrsmigs at migliorelli.org
Mon Sep 6 20:24:59 UTC 2010

Hi Arielle,  These are really great questions.
I don't remember ever having an aid in the classroom.  Any of my itinerant
teachers taught me outside of the classroom.  I had instruction in mobility,
daily living skills, and Braille, but all of those classes were given
outside of the main class.
I have worked as a mentor and summer instructor for many high school
students who had para-professionals with them in their classes.  Most of
them hardly had any interaction with their fellow students.  It used to
please me no end when they realized that they could get around their school
without someone giving them sighted guide and participating in every teacher
interaction.  Most students who are blind can learn great independence and
self-advocacy skills while still In school along with the rest of the
education they receive.  I would argue that they would be much better at
functioning in the real world than those who have others seeing to their day
to day needs.

Regards,

Maryann Migliorelli