[nabs-l] Lions Club

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 01:54:25 UTC 2010

Hello:

     I am a proud member of the Greater Ouachita Lions Club in Monroe,
Louisiana. When looking at the Lions, we must remember that different clubs
have different capabilities. I have been in three clubs due to having moved.
Some clubs are quite small and have older members. This type of club simply
cannot do a big fundraiser and selling something outside of Walmart works
for them. I was in a very small club with seven members and the best they
could do was to stand at an intersection and ask for donations. Amazingly,
they raised about $600 in two hours. The Greater Ouachita club of which I am
now a member is a bigger club and has members with the expertise to hold
golf tournaments and run a bingo operation.

     I am a Lion because I believe in Lionism. Our motto is "We Serve". Our
club has a program called Cub Sight that does vision screening for small
children. Our Eye Center has done lots of surgeries and we provide glasses
to those who can't get them elsewhere. My role in my club is toprovide
information on blindness and consult when we are asked for a brailler or
other equipment. The Lions are also funding the free cane program operated
by the NFB. All this takes considerable money. Have a great day.

Regards,

Lion Robert Jaquiss