[nabs-l] Lions Club

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 02:24:45 UTC 2010

Dear all,
The phenomenon known as tagging, I.E. having people collect money in
front of stores and/or on the road, is one of the most unseemly forms
of fundraising. However, it is not uncommon, and it is not only used
by the Lions Club in order to fund blind individuals. When i was in
high school, we all had to fundraise for our annual choir competitions
which were always out of state or Canada. So we'd all get chocolate
boxes to sell. Then NJ passed a law prohibiting the sell of food which
had as its main ingredient sugar. So candy was out of the question and
healthy snacks were just not racking up the dollars as our good
friends the chocolate bars did. And so some people had the option of
signing up for choir. It is not unusual to see high school students
and other organizations in town asking for money at our local
supermarkets. Mind you I live in a fairly high middle class
neighborhood. All that is to say, that I don't think the Lions Club is
using tagging as a way to hold back our movement. They use tagging
simply as a means of fundraising without  much thought to the
consequences it might have on how people perceive blind individuals.
While not much thought is given to the high school students asking for
money, if they were to see that cane, people's pity meter would shoot
up and say, "Oh, that poor blind person, let me give them a dollar."
Which for me is so personal and offensive. There was a time in history
not so long ago where that was all blind people could do, collect
money in a cup. In many countries around the world it still happens
and it is truly uncomfortable to put yourself in that situation.
Knowing the Lions Club however, i know that it is often made up of
people that just want to help. And if this is the only way they know
how to they will do it, unless you volunteer and voice how the people
they are trying to help feel. As with anything, every minority group
has to have fought against prejudice  in some form or another. The
blind are no exception. While asking people to vote for the Pepsi
project is basically the same as asking for money, we are doing the
ask in ways that actually defy the way the public thinks about the
blind. Many people I meet are astonished I can text. Well if I send
out a mass text, email, tweet and put it up on my facebook status,
that is breaking a lot of mis-perceptions about my blindness. Yes, I
can use technology, and yes I am intelligent and articulate enough to
ask you to please do this for me. This is really long. But please, if
you really feel this way, and yet acknowledge that the Lions Club does
support the blindness movement financially, then approach them, and
speak your mind. Organize a fundraiser yourself, so that not only are
you talking but also taking on initiative action which will earn you
their respect. Hopefully no one raises money on our behalf for pity,
but if they do, by organizing a fundraiser yourself and making it
successful, you have just shown your value as an individual, and it
will help them raise money not for pity but because they actually
believe in our cause.
Thank you.
Mary F

--