[nabs-l] braille note V. Packmate

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 02:06:21 UTC 2010

I have a Pac Mate BX40. In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, it is the greatest piece of technology for the blind. If I could
only have one piece of technology, this is the one I would choose. I have a strong Braille preference, both in reading, writing, and
proof reading what I have written. I can have a whole library of Braille books stored on a Compact Flash card. I can also store 6
versions of the Bible. I have two hard copy Braille versions that take up something like four book shelves in my town house.  I am
the Secretary of the NFB of Michigan, and I write the minutes so much faster and with fewer mistakes on the Pac Mate, rather than on
my computer with Jaws. The programs are very close to Jaws programs, so, the learning curve is quick if you are already familiar
with Jaws. Also, if you are a technology geek like my husband, you can add other off the shelf programs to the Pac Mate because it
is not a closed system. I have never owned a Braille Note, but I bet those are wonderful as well. I can only tell you about my
experience.
Terri Wilcox