[nabs-l] Lions Club

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 06:34:11 UTC 2010

This is great the discussion on the Lions Club and its role in assisting the blind.
Joe my position is not contradicting or at least I do not think so. I do stand by my clame that the Lions clubs do a lot of good for the blind including the projects that I mentioned and those that Rob mentioned. However, all of these projects do require mone and therefore fundraising is necessary, but raising money in a way which feeds into what society already thinks about the blind that we are a charity case unable to work therefore must result in begging for money is not really helpful. As Rob mentioned that every Lion Club must evaluate their ability and yes some may be able to hold large fundraisers such as the golf tornaments and others must do smaller fundraisers such as selling candybars, but stand on the street corner even though raised your Lions Club $600 reinforces the false proseption that society holds about blind people. Having said that, I think there is nothing wrong withwriting letters or making phone calls asking for donations because
 all charities including the blind charities such as the NFB and ACB have to do that. It’s just the nature of running a non-profit organization and it does not reinforces the negative attitude about blindness because the purpose is clear to raise money to continue the work the Lions are doing and meet its purpose. There is nothing wrong with asking the Lions to go vote for the NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Challenge because the Lions are a friend to the blind interested in our well-being and there is a challenge for a group which gets the most votes for a large amount of money and the NFB is asking all their friends to go vote for the NFB. The difference is that we are not standing in frunt of Walmart saying “would you like to give money to help the blind”? Instead we are saying “the NFB Youth Slam is competing against a number of sighted kids for some money and would you go vote for the NFB because you support our work and are proud that we are
 competing in something tuff?” Having said all that the Lions are good people with good intentions and reinforcing the negative attitudes about blindness is not something they are intending. So I think that we as blind people collectively should inform the Lions that we do not agree with this and it would really help if the two major blind organizations the NFB and ACB would do the same.
Anmol