[nabs-l] braille note V. Packmate

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 20:57:56 UTC 2010

Hi, George,
  As others have said, it is difficult to say that one type of
note-taker is definitely better than the other. I have personally been
a Braille Note user for many years, and I love how user-friendly its
built-in software is. It is very intuitive and easy to learn! I do
also have a laptop, and I use it heavily every day to handle MS Office
files, emails, and Internet browsing, but my braille Note is
indispensible for me in terms of writing papers (I type my papers in
grade 2 braille and translate them into Word documents), both academic
as well as personal reading, and of course note-taking. I agree that
Pac Mate more closely resembles a PC and its ability to work with
third-party apps is a big advantage, but the Braille Note-laptop combo
has worked very well for me.
  Are you purchasing a note-taker through your state voc rehab? When I
worked with the state rehab to purchase technology equipment before
entering college, they sent me to a state-run training center for the
blind for a day as part of my technology evaluation so that I could
gain some hands-on experience with different types of assistive
technology and make an informed decision about what to purchase for my
personal tool box. I found this very helpful and it may be worthwhile
to check out whether similar options are available in your state. Hope
this helps!
   Katie