[nabs-l] Would love some help or advice from any blind graduate students

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Sep 12 06:58:52 UTC 2010

Natalie,

Getting into grad school is a multi-step process that can (lets face
it) be anoying and difficult for anyone regardless of disability. The
trick is to stay on top of things once you get the process started and
try to stay as organized as possible. So far as blindness goes, you'll
need a list of skills in order to float this grad school boat.

firstly, you'll want to consider the school you wish to attend. Most
schools have decent web sites with reasonable amounts of info regarding
their programs. You may find surfing these sites useful to get a sense
of what you're doing. Also, make friends with people in the program
you'd like to get into because a phone call or personal conversation
can do a lot for you in terms of collecting information and getting noticed.

Some university programs have electronic application forms whee you can
apply for grad school online. Some don't. It just takes a bit of
investigation on your part. If the application is online and
accessible, I highly suggest you do it online. If not, you'll need a
reader for a paper ap.

As for the GRE, you can only apply on paper because your application
will need to go specifically through the disability center. Your
application has four parts: the general registration form, your
disability information (the nature of your disability and your proposed
acommodations), a statement from a service profesional varifying that
you have a disability and that you use your proposed accommodations on
a regular basis, and some sort of varification from a physician
regarding your disability. The application fee is $130 and can be paid
by either yourself or your rehab agency. If your rehab agency pays for
it, you'll have an additional step in your process in order for them to
both authorize the expenditure on their end and fill out their payment
info for the ETS. Once your paper application is in, you play the
waiting game for about four to six weeks in order for ETS (the
Educational testing services) and their disability center to register
you, find you a testing center, and agree to your proposed
accommodations. Generally, you'll get the accommodations you want.

In terms of blindness, there are several accommodations to choose from
including a Braille test, a live reader, a live scribe, a recorded
test, a print test, a print answer sheet, large print materials, a
special workplace with additional lighting, a typing device such as a
brailler or laptop or typewriter for essays, a slate and stylus, a
computer test, and a number of ways you can mix and match these. You
can also ask for extended time. To be honest with you, I took the
extended time because I wanted my test in Braille, but I'm not the
world's fastest reader. I also have test anxiety during standardized
exams. The time I had still wasn't enough for everything, and there's
no way in hell sighted people get all their test done in the 2 hours
and 50 minutes alotted to them. Frankly, they need more time, too.

In terms of communication and coordination between ETS and your grad
school, make sure there's loads of time as things can get dicy in terms
of getting your scores electronically from ETS to your grad school, the
actual application, etc. Don't be surprised if you find yourself making
tons of phone calls to either entity for any reason.

You can get GRE practice materials in Braille if you want. that's what
I did. When they get your paperwork, a representative from the GRE
disability group wil contact you by phone or TTY just to touch bases
and clarify anything needing clarification. You can also choose your
test date at this time and request practice materials.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, but I hope it helps.

Respectfully,
Jedi