[nabs-l] Math textbook

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:05:25 UTC 2010

I tried Bookshare, which provides books in text or digital braille,
but I didn't see that book, but know that's an option in the future if
you have a refreshable Braille display.

Another option is to find someone with an embosser willing to print up
the hardcopy Braille for you. Personally, if I already had my
embosser, I'd tell you send me the text files and I'll emboss it and
send it to you. It's not like I have to stand there and watch the
Brailler every moment it's working...I could let it do its work while
I go about my day. Unfortuantely, I don't yet have my embosser. It
should be here by the end of the month. See if someone you know has an
embosser and is wililng to make the hard copy for you. If nothing
else, when I get my embosser and figure out how to use it properly, I
could do it for you. I just gotta get paper for it.

You could also pay someone to do it, but why do that if you can find
someone to do it as a favour?

Hope that helps...wish I had better answers for you. I agree that a
math book is *mush* easier to understand in hardcopy Braille.

You could also Braille the problem on a piece of paper to look back at
as you're working. I have done this with a Janos slate. One index card
had the problem in the original form and each important step (not the
multiplication to find the right number of basic subtraction, but
movement of letters, changing of signs, etc). On another index card, I
would work out the problem in Nemeth, checking the original card to
make sure  I have numbers right. It's a little tedious, but it really
drills that problem in your head.

Oh, another option is to do the work on an abacus. Set the problem on
the abacus and write down each step you work, then write down the
final answer and clear the abacus for the next problem. I love my
Krammer abacus for simple problems!

My thoughts...

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!