[nabs-l] Accessible Games

Chrys Buckley cbuckley at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 22 18:06:40 UTC 2010

Hi NABS list,

Do you play or use any accessible, sound-based computer games? If so,
please tell me about them, as it may help with an accessibility
project for blind college students. Feel free to do this off-list if
you prefer at cbuckley at pdx.edu. Tell me all about any games you play!

My name is Chrys and I'm a blind biology student working with a
software company that is trying to create more accessible virtual
science labs. One of the challenges is that the virtual labs have a
big visual component, and they aren't fixed like a video that would
play the same way every time. In these labs, different things happen
every time, so we are thinking that computer games, which also are
unpredictable and aren't the same every time you play them, might be a
good model.

So, if you play any computer games that are accessible and that convey
the information in non-visual ways, it would be really helpful to the
development of this project if you could tell me about them. I am just
not a computer game person myself, so I need your help if you are!

This project is really exciting and will be unveiled at next year's
Youth Slam!

Thanks,
Chrys

http://chrysanthymum.blogspot.com