[nabs-l] Environmental Science Course Revisited

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 01:12:05 UTC 2010

I've had an opportunity to meet with the instructor for the Environmental Science course I'll be taking at my local community college. During the meeting, we discussed the nature of some of the lab work.

>From this meeting, we concluded that I'll probably be facing several challenges, for which I'd like some suggestions.

1. Field work: There will be at least one lab session where we'll be working in the field and collecting data. If you've participated in labs like this, what have you done to ensure that you're not on the sidelines, but fully involved in the activities?

2. Microscope work: I've learned that at least one of the labs will involve using a microscope. How have you handled this challenge?

3. Graphs: Graphs, both creating and interpreting them, have never been one of my strengths. If you've either created or interpreted graphs, how have you done it? What tools have worked, and what didn't?

I'm interested in hearing about both low and high tech solutions to these problems.

By the way, I'm doing this to finish a General Studies degree, and don't plan to go on to a university. Yet, I'm open to any suggestions on what I might do to fully take advantage of this course. Thanks.