[nabs-l] WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS?

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 04:31:00 UTC 2010

It's true that incredible progress has been made in terms of social
attitudes towards blind people.  And, I agree that if we're looking at
other civil rights' movements as a model, we can make so much more
incredible progress.  But I don't ever see a time where negative
stereotypes about blind people are completely gone.  I just don't.
  All the best,
Kirt

On 9/25/10, Marc Workman <mworkman.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> For me, Kirt, the key sentence in your response is the following:
>
> Because we live in such a social world, I think it's fair to say those
> social attitudes are, unfortunately, a part of blindness in our society.
>
> There's a bit of ambiguity here.  If you mean such attitudes are a part of
> our society today, at this moment, then I doubt that many would disagree.
> But if you mean that such attitudes are necessarily, inevitably, must always
> be, a part of our society, then this is the point of disagreement I think.
> I don't think such attitudes are necessarily part of our society.  There is
> evidence drawn from other civil rights movements, and from the organized
> blind movement itself, that significant progress can be, and still is being,
> made.
>
> So in so far as an article like the one in question fails to emphasize the
> social barriers that impede the success of blind people, it is problematic
> and should be questioned and challenged.  Note the phrase, in so far as.  I
> don't think anyone is saying that the article can't be helpful in some ways.
> This article might inspire a blind person who has come to believe that she
> is inadequate and can't do anything, or the article might cause some
> employers to judge potential employees based on their skills, as did the
> employer in the article.  However, these possible benefits of such an
> article do not mean that there aren't serious problems with it as well.
> Whether an article like this does more harm than good, I'm not sure if any
> critical comments have claimed, so I think that's still an open question.
>
> Best,
>
> Marc

>>> person. The over-all theme of the article gave credit to this individual