[nabs-l] some very beginner, basic cooking questions!

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 07:40:39 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. I now understand that the
tablespoon is the measuring spoon.

I also understand that cooking is a very experimental thing and there
is no exact way of doing things. I will try to be a little more
relaxed and just experiment.

I did have a couple more questions though, particularly related to
making chicken breasts. I am trying to make my grocery list. I am
trying to keep it limited to the items I need for the recipes I want
to make, and other very necessary items. I am also trying to clean out
my freezer. I have one chicken breast left. Can anyone give me any
suggestions or recomendations of any premade sauces, seasonings, or
marinades I can put on it? I don't like BBQ sauce much. Should I just
go with roticery flavoring? My grocery stores are Kroger (also called
King Super-savers in other areas), Walmart, and Giant Eagle. Kroger is
the closest and would be the easiest to get to. I know someone else
(pretty sure it was Jewel) suggested Pineapple chicken, which sounds
good but from looking at the recipes it's not as simple as pouring
pineapple juice on the chicken, and putting it into the oven or on the
grill. I'd like to keep this to a simple premade sauce, flavoring
(like roticery), seasoning, or bottled marinade that you just pour on
the chicken and cook. I know someone else suggested BBQ sauce, but I
don't like BBQ sauce very much.

I will be going to the store by myself, and so was planning on just
getting help from customer service. I love the idea of browsing and
just picking something random that sounds tasty but can you do that
with a customer service person? I thought with them you kind of had to
have your list and such ready..they don't have much time to "browse"
do they?

Also, what oven mits do you recomend? I saw some on
www.blindmicemart.com that say you can grip things with them and can
withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees. They seem a bit
expensive, but do many of you use them or do you just use cheap cloth
ones? The cloth ones make it really hard to grip things, so I'd like
to find a better pair.

Thanks,
Kerri