[nabs-l] Travel Opportunities for Blind/VI Students

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 08:40:47 UTC 2010

I thought this would be of interest to some.

Travel Opportunities for Blind/VI Students

Due November 15

Explore Your World: Raft the Grand Canyon in Summer 2011!

Developed in partnership with world-renowned blind adventurer Erik Weihenmayer, the Global Explorers Leading the Way program joins blind, visually impaired,
and sighted individuals between the ages of 14 and 21 for the adventure of a lifetime. Leading the Way integrates science, service, leadership, and culture
in a 3-phase program that includes pre-travel curriculum, a life-changing travel experience, and a follow-up service leadership project.

By focusing on what participants can do, Leading the Way prepares young people to act on the passions they discover. Through their unique stories, the teams spread messages of hope while breaking down barriers between those with and without disabilities.
Our 2011 destination is one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World: Grand Canyon!
Rim to River Expedition: Grand Canyon, Arizona
July 6-17, 2011 | Price: ~$2,000 (Exact price TBA) We help you fund raise! | Application deadline is Nov. 15

In partnership with Grand Canyon Youth (www.gcyouth.org), this expedition provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for students to explore the wonders of the Grand Canyon. We will spend the first 5 days engaging in service and experiencing the vast culture of the area on the South Rim of the Canyon. We will spend the next 5 days on the upper half of the world-renowned Colorado River, where we will raft exhilarating whitewater, float through calm stretches,
and journey by foot through slot canyons.

Students can apply online at www.globalexplorers.org (Click "Leading the Way") before November 15!
Or, nominate a student online and we will follow up with him/her.
To request additional info or material preferences (Braille, LP), please contact Danielle Thuringer at danielle at globalexplorers.org or 1-877-627-1425.

Anmol
I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller