[nabs-l] Interesting topic for discussion: Is TechnologyTurning into Our Enemy?

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 23:57:38 UTC 2011

All of you have raised some excellent points.

Like some of you, I believe there will be a place for the old technology,
but once the old technology becomes dated and can't be replaced, then you
either have to give up, go without or buy things you need from the new
technologies.

Speaking as one who's been around a while, I believe that the Internet is
not going away, and that we're not going to go back completely to the way
things were in the past. We need to use the Internet as a tool to spread our
message.

Like many, I find it a challenge to resist the latest fads and trends, and I
fear that swimming with the currents could pull any of us down the wrong
road if we don't know how to cope. This, in my view, is why some
organizations are struggling to reach the younger generations, especially if
the older leaders are not comfortable with Facebook and Twitter. They
haven't learned how to use these tools, and are not comfortable, so they
avoid them. Yet I feel that's not a good strategy either.

I recognize that the iPhone is becoming very popular, and can understand the
push to get on the iPhone bandwagon. You see your peers carrying one, and
you want one, too. I don't blame anyone for feeling this way; it's not
uncommon. Personally, even though I see many students in my area carrying
one, I don't need it.

Some of you still have an older cell phone which meets your needs, and
that's commendable. It also illustrates the need some of you are bringing
up: I want a cell phone that only makes calls and nothing else. I know that
some years ago, one company tried to market a cell phone like this, but I
don't know what became of it.

I'm not discounting developments like the KNFB Reader Mobile, since some of
you are probably using it for your schoolwork.

Someone commented about the young girl who cried because their i phone gave
out. I know that recently, for me, my computer died and had to be replaced
right in the middle of my coursework. This set me back, but I was able to
rely on other tools to get the job done, as well as finding a way to borrow
a computer that I could use during the time my unit was being replaced. I
still have a classic Braille writer on hand, and that helped me during that
time.

I also want to bring up a point that sometimes gets overlooked in this
discussion: older technology can be a problem to store. I no longer have a
cassette player or record player because I live in an apartment, and these
take up a good deal of space. I probably will never buy anymore vinyl.

Also, hardcopy Braille books can take up space, which is why I'd like to see
some technology that will display a full Braille page, yet cost less than
current Braille displays.

As I think about this, I think we all need to ask ourselves some questions
when it comes to buying technology: how much is too much, and where do you
draw the line?

I know this is hard, especially in the blind commmunity, since you can't
learn about, say, the various accessible book readers by going to a local
electronics store. Yet, many of us want and need at least one of these units
for school, work, and whatever. That is why, though we have our technology
center at our national headquarters, there is still the need to have some
kind of technology center in every state so that a blind person can learn
about what's out there.

To those of you who still are using a tape player, I say, use it until it
gives out, but if you don't want it, look into the new digital recorders. If
you have a Braille writer on hand, stick with it.

Someone commented about the popularity of video games, and the potential
concerns about kids being overstimulated. I agree that this is troubling,
especially since I'm not a gamer myself. I may watch someone playing a game,
but I don't go on for hours when I could be doing something better with my
time.

Like some of you, I'm not one who buys every new piece of technology that
comes out. The only reason I have more than one book reader is that I feel a
responsibility to the blind community in my area to help them learn about
what's out there. Yet I won't buy the iPhone, simply because I have what I
need.

Could I use a laptop? Sure, but maybe later on. Could I use a cell phone?
Maybe later. What about an iPod touch? Well, probably not. Yet the trend
towards these technologies is not easy to resist. They're popular, and the
push is strong, but I feel that there are times when you need to go against
the current. For some of you, this could be one of those times, and for
those of you who have an iPhone, I'd say, use it, but always have a backup
tool on hand should it break down.

This leads me to another observation: Some of you like the old technology
for its simplicity. Is it possible to combine the simplicity of the old
technologies with the many benefits of the new? I know that some companies
are trying, and if any of you have a new NLS talking book player, you admire
its simplicity and usefulness.

My big recommendation when you look at technology is to buy each tool, based
on your needs, and use it for what it does best. There is the quest out
there for the perfect device that will do everything equally well, and I
believe that while the iPhone comes close, some people would rather not use
it, either because they're not comfortable with it or it just doesn't meet
their needs. Plus, if you just buy an iPhone and use it for everything, it
could break down, and if you don't have an alternative, you could be stuck.
That is why I like to have at least two of the book readers on hand, so that
if the battery is low on one, the other is ready to go into service.

I say all of this to add my thoughts to the dialog, and to hear some of
yours. Thanks.