[nabs-l] Interesting topic for discussion: Is Technology Turning into Our Enemy?

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:04:19 UTC 2011

I wanted to chime in on the technology talk. I am not a traditional student,
I am much older than most of you. Lets just say in my 30's. I have three
kids who are 14, 13, and 11 years old. I remember the days of the Apple 2E,
I remember the days of the first laptops, and the days when we did not have
cell phones, or the internet. At one time I was very very techie, but as
time goes on, as I get older and older, technology seems to be passing me
by. No longer are the days when you can know everything, because frankly
there is so much to know now. Like at one time I loved to use
instantmessangers, now I can't figure them out. I am not into podcasts or
skype. I have no clue what RSS is. I do not listen to internet radio shows.
I have a basic knowledge on how to use a stream, but nothing more. Yes I do
use facebook to keep in touch with friends. Yes I do use twitter to some
extent. I think the Iphones are great, but think they are way way too out
there for me at this point. I do have an accessible phone that I can text
and surf the net with. But I do still use tapes and CD's. I still use my
Braille writer and slate. And just today I got my Apex in the mail after
having a Mpower for years and years.

Technology is great, its useful. It does improve our lives so much, but with
that said there is so much of it. People are so plugged in these days, they
can't go anywhere with out there phones. No one can leave the house without
some connection to the world. Kids today watch tv, stream, play games all
the time. Kids are bored if they don't have a game or phone or ipod. People
do not have actually talking conversations now, we just text each other.

There has to be a line of when and where and how much.

My two cents worth,
marsha