[nabs-l] When a loved one goes sighted

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:05:11 UTC 2011

Jamie,
  I've wondered a lot about this.  And, honestly, because the blind
community has such a diversity of philosophy, I think the reaction
would be mixed.  Some people would be secretly envious while acting
smug and saying their friend did it because they were uncomfortable
being blind and didn't have the right skills or attitude.  Others
would probably go to the other extreme and be so happy their friend
now could enjoy a full, complete, fulfilling normal life which, of
course, isn't possible for a blind person.  (heavy sarcasm)  But I do
think most people would go somewhere right near the halfway point
between these two extremes, and still accept their friend, even be
curious about it and happy for their friend, without changing much
about their lives as blind people.
  Just my thoughts,
Kirt