[nabs-l] When a loved one goes sighted

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Apr 23 05:58:24 UTC 2011

Yep, it's the cultural implications of black skin. And yes, i am a
strong proponent of the concept of blind culture. But before you kill
me on that one *grin* let me try to explain why I think there is "blind
culture."

Culture is a lot more than just language and geographic location. It's
a lot more than just religion (for example) or art work. It's all of
the above. Cultures are greater than the sum of their parts and consist
of a shared set of beliefs, values, items, ways of doing things, and
experiences that get transmitted from one generation to the next. Not
all cultures have the same characteristics. for example, American
culture isn't based purely on one religion, but it could be argued that
some Middle Eastern countries have cultures that are.

When it comes to blind culture, I think there are lots of them that
share a lot of similar things. I think every country has its own blind
cultures, and i'm pretty sure the U.S. has at least four, maybe even
five. I make these distinctions based on each culture's beliefs,
traditions, values, assumptions, artifacts, and even some linguistic
differences. Yes, these cultures specifically relate to blindness, but
I believe that they influence other aspects of our lives without us
even being aware of it, especially since we live in a society that says
blindness is such a huge factor in our lives.

So here is my cultural taxonomy for the U.S.

There's the NFB, the ACB, the unaffiliated blind, traditionally-trained
professionals serving the blind, and consumer-based professionals
serving the blind.

I can't really comment too much on the ACB nor the unaffiliated blind
because I am part of neither culture nor have I had the ability to
study it. I can't really even say much about traditionall-trained
professionals because I'm still in the process of studying their
culture and because I'm not a part of it. But i do feel qualified to
comment on NFB culture and consumer-based professional culture (which
is pretty well the same thing but with a slight twist).

I said that culture is defined as a set of values, assumptions, and
artifacts, traditions, etc. So to make it short, I'll list a couple of
things that I think can be listed for the NFB under each category. I've
gone into these categories before elsewhere on list, so I won't put
people through it again.

Artifacts (things cultures use like language, art, things, symbols,
etc): our characteristic long cane, the Whozit, the old NFB seal, our
NFB songs, our catch phrases (It's respectable to be blind), our
jargain, the national convention and the traditional activities in it
like the mock trial, the LCB play, and the banquet speech, and our
extremely timely agendas.

Values (things we think are important): timeliness, independence,
neatness, love, togetherness, collective action, confidence,
competence, leadership, literacy, innovation, and justice

Assumptions (these complete the phrase "of course..."): blindness is
respectable, the blind can be independent, the blind should be
integrated into society, the sighted should join us, but they shouldn't
determine our destiny, we should take care of each other and help each
other out whenever possible, we should take care of our space (the
national center for example)

You won't find a lot of these in any other blindness culture here in the U.S.

And what about the issue of blind people integrating into society and
this concept of blind culture? Funnily enough, it's one aspect of our
blindness culture in the NFB that makes this argument possible to begin
with. We share many cultural elements in common with the sighted since
we are a cross-section of society at large; but we've also taken great
pains to do what the sighted do in a number of areas such as social
skills (for example). Our belief in inegration to the extent that it
exists is something unique to our blind culture here in the NFB and
that's why we can argue that the blind should not isolate themselves
from sighted society because we are part of society and should be part
of society. But here's the thing. You can belong to several cultures at
once; it's called intersectionality. for instance, you can be Latino
and still be an American. You can be culturally Deaf and be engaged in
the local LGBT culture. You can be a member of the NFB culture and be
just as a part of the greater sighted American culture. Some of these
cultural identities share commonalities and sometimes they clash. In
the NFB, we have both similarities with our sighted culture aspects and
some horrible clashes, too. that's just the nature of being human and
having multiple identities int the  same body.

I'm off my soap box now. *grin*

Respectfully Submitted