[nabs-l] Placement Exams

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 03:43:21 UTC 2011

Gordyn,
When I entered college I took a math placement test.  Back then in 2002, it
was regular paper and pencil.
How I did it was I just used my vision. A reader read the questions to me
and I used paper and a dark marker to write out and work the questions.
I think totally blind students were permitted to have a brailler to do the
problems.
But  now a days they have computer placement tests.
Your college should accommodate you with extra time and other accomodations.
If its on the computer, jaws may not read it right.  You might want to have
a reader read out the questions.  If you use nemeth braille,
then transcribe the questions to braille and answer the problems.  Tell the
reader what answer you got.
If it was a hard copy test, they could make tactile graphs.  But again
computers present more accessibility challenges because many software
programs are not compatable to jaws.
Bring something like tape to make tactile graphs. Your reader can describe
the graphs and tables and tactially draw the graphs if needed.

Good luck.
Ashley