[nabs-l] a question about blind teachers

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 23:42:32 UTC 2011

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me answer a question I've been thinking about
for a while.  How many blind classroom teachers are out there?  I'm
talking about blind classroom teachers who work in public schools or
private schools.  I know there are plenty of TVIs who work teaching
braille and mobility to blind kids, but what about blind teachers who
work mostly or only with sighted kids?

I am not an education major, and I honestly never plan on teaching in
a classroom.  I'm just curious.  I have heard a scary number of
stories about blind people being denied their education degree or
being told they could not become teachers for various reasons.  I know
it would be hard to manage a classroom with little or no sight, but
I'm sure accomidations could be made, alternative techniques put into
consideration, so a blind person could be a teacher of sighted
students.  If anyone knows anything about this, please share your
story.

Thanks guys.  And, happy Easter!

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, participating member in Opera

life."
John 3:16