[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab and some other college questions

Jordyn Castor jordyn2493 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:09:00 UTC 2011

Hi again guys!
I'm going to college in the fall, as I already said yesterday. This is
why I have so many questions! I just want to be sure I'm doing
everything right, and what better way to do this then asking other blind
students? :) So, thanks for all your great advice on everything!
My other question is, what are reasonable things to ask Rehab for in the
way of technology?
I'm thinking a laptop, 40 cell braille display, Window Eyes, and a
printer scanner combo thinggy with software like OpenBook or Kurzweil. I
don't know if I'd get a notetaker though as these are super expensive.
lol Any suggestions or other things you'd ask for? What are you all
using as far as technology in college?
My college also has a place where I can, I think, borrow technology like
an embosser or Braille Display. Should I use that rather than asking
rehab for some of the things like the display and the printer? I think
it would be awesome to have a printer in my dorm though lol!
Oh, speaking of dorms, do most of you have a roommate or a single room?
A lot of my blind friends seem to have single rooms because of the
expensive technology, but, I want a roommate, I think. lol Thoughts?
Anyway, I'll stop rambling! :)
Thanks again,
Jordyn