[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab and some other college questions

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:07:36 UTC 2011

I totally agree about the roommate thing. In my opinion, having a
single room just is a way to single yourself out. Some people have a
single room because of all of the space their equipment takes up or
because they have a guide dog. This did not apply to me, because I did
not see the point of personally owning a braille embosser, so I did
not need more space than the average person. So, I would definitely
encourage roommates, and borrowing equipment from your school that you
might not need super often.

I'm not sure how housing works. I don't remember specifying that I am
blind on my housing contract, but I think they figured things out when
I requested braille signage in my dorm. I don't know. When I
registered my disability with the disabilities office, it might have
been transfered there, or there might have been a question about
ability in case of emergencies or something, and I might have
indicated it. I don't remember. So, I am really glad that I visited
the housing office, because they were planning to put me on the first
floor. There are a lot of conveniences to living on said floor, I
enjoy the first floor now, but I had applied to live on a leadership
and service floor, the 4th floor, and they were going to ignore this
request and put me on the first floor because of my blindness. But it
took a pretty short talk with housing for them to understand that I
did not need the first floor. So maybe talking to the office just to
make sure they have not made assumptions such as giving you the
handicap accessible room, intentionally placing you on the first
floor, a nicer upperclassmen dorm, or in a single room hasn't
happened.

Cindy