[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab and some other college questions

David davidb521 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:38:29 UTC 2011

Hi, Jordyn. Here are some things to keep in mind. Definitely try to get a
laptop with a screen reader. I know that some agencies may not purchase
computers, but rather the adaptive devices like screen readers, notetakers,
etc. But there are always exceptions, it seems. You'll want a powerful
computer with quite a bit of ram and processing speed, as well as a decently
sized hard drive. As for OCR, if you're reasonably good with computers, look
in to OmniPage, which is a mainstream OCR solution with excellent OCR
accuracy. I believe that it might be better than Kurzweil and OpenBook, and
you should be able to get it for less than $200. Be aware that OmniPage is
not quite as easy to learn as OpenBook and Kurzweil, but if you are a decent
computer user, you'll have little trouble with it. As for the Braille
display and notetaker, I would personally recommend a notetaker with Braille
output, since it's very portable, and you can just open it and take notes
immediately, rather than waiting for the laptop to boot up. I'd get the
notetaker before the Braille display, since most notetakers can act as
Braille displays. However, I don't think it's as convenient as a dedicated
Braille display. Maybe they'll get you both. A Braille embosser would be
nice, but they can be loud depending on the model, and that may be a problem
in a dorm setting. But if you really like using hard-copy Braille, then do
try getting one. It would be preferable than having to schedule time to use
the university's. Those are my thoughts.
David