[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab and some other college questions

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 25 01:46:56 UTC 2011

Gordyn,
Technology depends on your needs and it has to relate to your college goals.
Everyone likes laptops now a days; but IMO an advantage to bringing a
regular desktop to the dorm is its stable and you don't have to worry about
battery life and its more fragile.  Now if you intend to take notes on it
during class, then yes bring a laptop to college.
Do you have a notetaker already such as  a BrailleNote?
If so, you already have a braille display.
I agree ask for a scanner with OCR software like Openbook.

The braille display, your choice of screen reader, and computer are personal
preference.
Rehab bought me my BrailleNote and Openbook software with scanner.  But I
already had some technology like jaws and duxbury because my family is
supportive.

What are you going to use the braille display for?  That is more expensive
than a computer, scanner, and OCR software combined.
So what justification will you have for them to spend that much money on it?
Something to think about.
In VA I don't know one college student who got a
40 cell braille display!  Students typically get a screen reader, OCR
software, scanner and a notetaker; state buys either the PacMate or
BrailleNote.
Just be prepared to justify the braille display as this is not a common
request. If you need it, go ahead though.
But the state might think "oh why should we buy this when we paid for a
screen reader and Openbook to read to him?".

Regarding roommates, I'm with you. Get a roommate, unless you have a guide
dog.  Then the dog might pose a problem living with a roommate because of
allergies or something.
Meet with housing so they don't assume you need a special placement or
something.  I think blindness should not affect where you live as long as
you can walk down stairs in an emergency; so live whereever freshman live
and don't let blindness be a barrier.
Ashley