[nabs-l] If the World Went Sighted

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:19:04 UTC 2011

What qualifies as “harm?” There are certainly plenty of negatives associated
with being blind; many of them borne of societal prejudices, and
misunderstandings, as well as the world’s being structured for the sighted.
However, I would contend that there is a list of negatives inherent to
blindness. This doesn’t mean that blindness is more than a characteristic.
It also doesn’t mean that I am unhappy with who I am. But all
characteristics bring along with them certain positives and negatives, and
blindness is no different in that regard. Not all characteristics are
created equal, and blindness surely has more implications on one’s life than
the color of one’s hair or eyes. If this were not the case, we wouldn’t have
an NFB.

I think Mike is right on with thinking that there is no reason to preserve
blindness in our world. If blindness could be eradicated, I would view that
as a positive, not because blind people are inferior people, but because
blindness is, to my mind, a net negative. If I could become sighted by means
of a procedure or medicine that was proven to work and be free of side
effects, and do so without losing anything of serious value in my life, I
don’t think there would be a lot to think about. As somebody pointed out, I
would still have all the nonvisual ways of doing things at my disposal.
Becoming sighted, and I mean here obtaining functional usable vision, not
simply having my eyes work but having my brain have no idea how to process
the information, would do nothing but make my life easier. It would also
afford me the ability to enjoy aesthetic beauty. The inability to see the
sunset, a great work of art, or a lover’s face, while seemingly cliché, are
certainly inherently valuable parts of the human experience. Before anybody
wants to argue that those things are just incidental and not really
important, imagine that you were never able to hear music; that The best you
could do was to have describe to you how wonderful the tone of the saxophone
or how rich the chords in a piece. Would you not be missing out on something
fundamentally good in the human experience. I think you would. Similarly, I
think that we, as blind people, miss out on some stuff. I don’t think I am
breaking news here, but I do run across those who will not cede this point.
I think that a key part of understanding blindness as a characteristic is
understanding that something’s being a characteristic doesn’t mean that it
doesn’t matter or have implications on one’s life. Would my life, all else
being equal, be easier, and maybe better, if I were sighted? I think so. It
would also be better if I were taller, better looking, or more patient.
Similarly, my life would be worse if I were less intelligent or didn’t have
a sense of humor. Let me stress, I am comfortable in my own skin. I am happy
with the person that I am. Blindness is just part of who I am, and does not
define me. I don’t think it is inconsistent, and I think it is probably
healthy, to be able to recognize the ways in which blindness affects one’s
life, while at the same time not letting one’s life or life prospects be
dictated by blindness.

I hope this makes some sense.

Take care,

Sean