[nabs-l] If the World Went Sighted

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:50:06 UTC 2011

Hi, Sean and all.

I respectfully disagree.  Certainly all things in life, including
blindness, come with pros and cons.  Everything has a trade-off.
But you have to weigh the pros and cons, no matter how many of
each, and decide which outweighs which.  In other words, will the
pros outweigh the cons, or the other way around? Although we miss
out on the things that only are available through vision and
can't be well described, we're not missing out on that much.  We
can read and write with Braille.  We can use assistive technology
like notetakers and screen readers to access many digital things
that sighted people use all the time in this new digital age,
i.e.  email, list serves (hint hint, what are we using right
now), social media/networking, instant messaging, many Web sites
used for school research, work, or pleasure, wordprocessors,
Braille printers, etc.  We can, we can, we can! I think we
shouldn't be focusing on the small number of things we can't do,
but rather on the many things we can do with minor adaptations.
There is still a lot of work to be done, but as I said in a
speech I gave to the NFB of Maryland a couple years ago at our
state convention, "Blind people have come along way, baby!"
Although I wanted to have a little fun with that statement, it's
true.  Looking back at history, we're doing things now without
sight that people couldn't have imagined just fifty or a hundred
years ago.  Frankly, if we want positive attitudes from our
sighted-based society, I think we need more positive attitudes
about blindness from our own blind community.  I hope we can
respectfuly disagree.  I welcome yours and everyone else's
opinions on this.

Chris Nusbaum