[nabs-l] Learning Ally prices

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:30:11 UTC 2011

I thought they had always charged $99 per year .  When I went back to
university four years ago, this was the cost, and I was told my state
agency didn't feel it was necessary to buy what was then RFBD
membership.  Fortunately, my university's DSO has a membership so
anytime a book was available with RFBD, my DSO just ordered it.

My husband and I considered buying our own membership though, and it was
going to cost $99 per year, and an additional charge per month, I think,
or something like that.

If you use Learning Ally regularly, $99 for an entire year is not that
much.  And even nonprofits need to make money, and if business is not
what it once was, from a business perspective it makes sense to charge
more.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Hi all,
With budget cuts to many nonprofits, Learning Ally lost their federal
funding. They are now charging individuals a large fee annually for
membership; when I joined years ago, I paid $35, but its much more than
$35 now! Have you heard the news? I received word today via my email
from Learning Ally that effective September 1 individual memberships are
$99. It said the following:
  a.. On September 1, 2011 Individual Memberships will be $99 per year
-a little more than eight dollars a month.
  b.. For a limited time only, we are offering a special opportunity to
renew your current membership for $79 (a savings of $20). Take advantage
of this special membership offer, renew on/before August 31, 2011.
So what do you think? Will you pay this fee?
I know many of you may be tight on money; I hope your family can chip in
or some group can sponsor you. Budgets are very tight. Personally, I
enjoyed the free books. But I do understand the rationale to begin
charging once again. They are a nonprofit after all. Other college
students pay a lot for their texts. I think a membership to audible.com
is more expensive than this. As for me, I plan to take more classes at
community college even though I graduated in 2009 with a BA degree. I
need to keep my writing and study skills active. I think I will renew my
Learning Ally membership. They recorded several books for me during
school; the staff at the studio is very friendly. Good thing I have a
paying internship to help cover the cost. I knew this was coming when I
heard Learning Ally was losing funding. I knew it months ago prior to
their announcement today. Learning Ally has their flaws, but overall
their books are helpful. I cannot study with a human reader at midnight,
but I can pull out my Learning Ally book anytime and hear a human voice
read to me.

Ashley