[nabs-l] Learning Ally prices

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:49:20 UTC 2011

I think another reason so many of us prefer Audible or BLIO or NLS is
the narration.  RFBD, or Learning Ally, has the worse narration.  In
four years of university, whenever I used these books, the narrator was
ridiculous.  Words were mispronounced, stuttering and mistakes were not
edited out, often voices were monotone or not conducive to being
recorded, and let's not forget the jump from section-to-section, or even
sentence-to-sentence, of narrators.  I know they use volunteers to read
the books, but even with volunteers, you can still be professional.  I
preferred to use electronic versions of material than RFBD, sorry,
Learning Ally.  If the textbook was a reasonable price, I'd buy it and
scan it instead of using Learning Ally since I found most the narrators
more annoying than the electronic drone of JAWS.  And I've never, ever
read these books for leisure because of these reasons.

By the way, some of you mentioned you use NLS books for school, how do
you cite in-text citations since page numbers are not listed?  Because
of my degree, a majority of my reading was literature books- many out of
print.  My DSO usually had to scan print copies, and  Listening to
literature books with JAWS can be annoying, though I adjusted to it, but
if I found any on NLS or BARD, I used that format to read, but referred
to my scanned copies so I could access page numbers when necessary for
papers or discussions.  How did others who used NLS and BARD books
handle this?

FYI, I'm officially now an university graduate!  Yeah!  And I
technically did it before 30 since I don't turn 30 until August 22!
Yippy-skippy!  Now onto grad school, ug!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Hello Joseph and everyone,

    I get more benefit from Bookshare.org over Learning Allie any day.
These
days if I can't find it on bookshare I'll buy it from Blio. How sad.

Peter Donahue