[nabs-l] Carol Center for the Blind?

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 13 23:00:54 UTC 2011

David,
What program is your friend attending? Is it the main rehabilitation adult
program? They also have one for work experience called the vocational
transition program.  I can only comment briefly upon the center. I have a
short summer experience to comment on.
I would be interested to hear any feedback from people in the adult program
because I am thinking of going back for training.

Like Justin Young, I attended the Youth in Transition, Yit, Program.
I was there in summer 2001. Back then it was a six week program; now it’s a
shorter program since they have  a new program called
Transition to College that they run for four weeks plus two weeks the
students attend the computer program for a total of six weeks.  Had I known
about the Real World of Work experience, RWWE
program, I might have attended that during my high school years. The teens
in the program all seemed to enjoy their jobs.
That would have been a good way to get work experience and socialize.  I was
friends with the RWWE students though.
In 2001 RWWE students went to work three days  a week with one day of field
trips and the other day of classes at the center. Students in YIT and RWWE
had afternoon/evening activities as well as field trips together.
We also had meals together. I guess that is why we  got to know each other
since there was some overlap in experience.

In the Youth in transition program, it was focussed on daily living skills.
Its like  the youth version of the rehab program.
Classes were from 9:00 - 3:00.
Before that there were announcements at 8:45. In the afternoon, students had
club activities and in the evening
there were more activities and some of them were off campus.
In the adult program at 3:00 is a makeup class
period.  I am glad I went to YIT for the experience of the extra curriculars
and socializing. But they went over a lot of stuff I already knew.  I wonder
if the  adult program is more individualized with a good evaluation of
skills before you learn skills in class.

Some of the classes were communication, personal management, mobility, and
information technology.  In communication some students learned braille but
I already knew it. They showed us some labeling products and how to erase a
tape if you recorded on it. I don't think I got much out of that class.  In
personal management, Ellie was the instructor. That class focuses on
cooking, personal care  and housekeeping skills. I practiced cutting and
spreading there. I had been taught by a rehab teacher at home, but found
Ellie's guidance helpful. She taught hand over  hand and explained things.
There was another student in my class.  We made
cookies. She also went over folding money but I already knew that. We had a
lesson on putting on lipstick too.
Some students addressed personal care, but I was fine with shaving and
bathing as a teen. We did more, but I cannot remember it all.

IIn Orientation and mobility, I learned and practiced street crossing and
went on the city bus. That was one on one; not all students went on the bus.
I went to the Boston area to walk around; I think we took the bus to Newton
center which is a  stip shopping center a few miles from the center. I had
practice buying things in the store with customer service assistance.

The activities at night were fun. I cannot remember the day ones. It was ten
years ago!
I only remember an afternoon club called clay works where we made clay
objects and painted them.
I think one afternoon club was recreation where we played beep ball or goal
ball.
On most fridays nights, everyone had the option to go to the lake to swim,
but I don't think I went; I was too tired.  On Mondays was our shopping
night where we went to a local mall. On Wednesdays we went canoeing.

We had field trips once a week instead of classes; those were usually fun.
I had not had some of those experiences. We went to a dance studio where
they showed us some dance moves and let us explore dancer's shoes and
outfits; since we could not see what they wore, I guess they wanted us to
know what dancers wore. We also went to Cape Cod, a horse farm, and museums.

I still keep in touch with a friend from the center and I saw one student
who was down here in the next county working as a teacher of the vision
impaired.

I hope your friend learns something valuable from the center.