[nabs-l] sending a message to all Gmail contacts?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 04:10:13 UTC 2011

As a person who has very carefully written rules to deal with others
who tend to send messages to everybody they know, please DON’T.
Anyone who has ever sent you an email is likely a GMail contact, and
absolutely anybody you’ve ever sent an email to automatically is.

It sounds harsh—and it really isn’t meant to be I promise—but there
is truly nothing you, I, or absolutely anybody for that matter could
possibly have to say that anybody we have ever exchanged an email
with could possibly care to read.

It doesn’t matter if it’s funny (odds are, at least a third of the
people you’re sending it to have seen it already or don’t get the
joke), an important announcement (just as many aren’t interested,
don’t care, or have no idea what you’re talking about), or even if it
was a message telling everyone that the world was literally coming to
an end in 24 hours and you have positive proof (90% of your list will
not believe you and think you’re out of your mind.)

I’m thinking of one person in particular right now.  He and I
exchange emails now and then that are important, so I haven’t
consigned all of his mail automatically to the bitbucket.  But most
of his emails are jokes (which largely aren’t as funny as he thinks)
or political news I’ve already heard about.  Basically, any message
of his that goes to six or more people, I now automatically delete,
and others have told me that his emails really annoy the crap out of
them.

Truly, just do everyone you know a favor and don’t go down that road.

Friendly advice, possibly worth no more than what you paid for it,

Joseph - KF7QZC