[nabs-l] Blind people being taught social skills

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 01:18:02 UTC 2011

Tara and others,

As a former sighted person, trust me, nothing you described is unique to
blind people. The reasoning behind the behavior may be different, but
the behavior itself is not.

Since becoming blind, it has been very interesting to me to learn how
many blind people think many behaviors and mindsets are unique to
blindness. I think so much of what we do is attributed to our blindness
even though sighted people do the exact same things. When I was sighted,
if I smiled because I was daydreaming, people most likely thought I had
just remembered something happy, or was thinking of a moment that made
me smile. Now as a blind person, if I randomly smile, people may think
it's something blind people do- make random facial expressions. For me,
I'm not making random facial expressions, but am simply having a nice
thought, just like I did when sighted.

I think when we, blind people, start to attribute to much to blindness,
we are in danger of fueling misconceptions and stereotypes. There are
behaviors some blind people exhibit that is due to never learning how
others do it, which is how most sighted people pick up behaviors, but we
can't always say it's unique to being blind. Even though the friend
didn't quite understand how the angle of her body still made the soda
can visible, we can't necessarily say that had she been sighted, she
would have hid the can better. I've been with plenty of people, sighted,
who have had similar things happen.

And if a sighted person thinks they don't exhibit similar behavior, they
are an idiot, smile! Nose picking, pulling wedgies out, leaving dog poo
on the ground- no, not everyone is silly enough to do these things in
public, but most of us daydream and will smile or have some "random"
expression; many of us have a different, or goofy, expression for
different things.

I often have a crooked smile, like the actress Katie Holmes, meaning I
literally will smile with only half of my mouth. Not sure how this works
physically, but trust me, it's how I smile, grin. And I've been grinning
like this for years even when I was sighted. My husband, who was once
sighted too, rarely smiles, and usually looks like my big, mook body
guard though he's actually a big teddy bear. He just doesn't express
much when not in conversation. It probably doesn't help that he usually
is crossing his arms and stands a bit like a body guard, giggle. My
sister never had her teeth correctedm, and she's very self-conscious
about it so she never smiles with her mouth open. She has very thin
lips, and her mouth doesn't curve up when smiling, so when she smiles
with her lips closed, it looks like a straight, thin line across her
face. My dad, brother and sister make this really odd expression when
excited or happy where they squint their eyes, scrunch their faces and
hold their hands up close to their face. They literally aren't aware of
what their doing, and all are sighted.

I have numerous sighted friends who never pick up after their dogs,
which is gross. And sadly, I've known plenty of people who pick their
nose when the fancy takes them. And of course little kids do all these
things, smile.

You give me some behavior or expression a blind person does, and I
guarantee I can give you an example of a sighted person who has done, or
does, the same.

Am I the only former sighted person here? LOL

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan