[nabs-l] ipad verses blindness products

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 01:23:45 UTC 2011

Hi Humberto,

It's a public archive, so if anyone goes to nfbnet.org and clicks
on our page, they can see all the prior postings to the list.
That's why when people post things that other people feel
inappropriate for the list, they refer to the list as a "public,
archived list." And, just my opinion; don't be afraid to tell the
truth in this area, and don't worry about offending Humanware and
Freedom Scientific.  They need to hear this, IMO! And if they
want to stay in business, they need to (1) make products so
they're a little more mainstreamed (this especially goes for
Humanware and HIMS,) (2) reduce the price of their technology so
it is more appealing to the small blind market, and (3) work with
mainstream technology developers to help make their products
accessible.  Probably Freedom Scientific will still be around
because there will be a need for their high-quality products,
especially JAWS and Braille displays, but HumanWare and HIMS...
only time will tell, but I think their days are numbered.  It
will probably be HIMS who are the first to go, as the
BrailleSense is very outdated and is being upstaged by even the
outdated BrailleNote.  As for Humanware...  I think the Braille
displays will save their business by going completely under.
However, sadly, I think my beloved BrailleNote's days are
numbered.  Unless they update their technology, they will be
quickly outdone by the push to make mainstream technology
accessible.  Any thoughts?

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan (President, National Federation of the Blind,
1968-1986

 The I C.A.N.  Foundation helps blind and visually impaired youth
in Maryland say "I can," by empowering them through providing
assistive technology and scholarships to camps and conventions
which help them be equal with their sighted peers.  For more
information about the Foundation and to support our work, visit
us online at www.icanfoundation.info!