[nabs-l] zoomba

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:56:28 UTC 2011

I love zoomba and think it's a great work out.  It is also super fun and is
easily learned.  I have two suggestions as to how it can be learned by the
blind but I know there are more options.  If you know someone sighted who
would be willing to teach you the steps and are willing to by the home work
out DVDs there is an option in the menu that teaches each eight count.  It
does a good job of breaking the steps down but some of it is visual so if
you have a sighted work out partner it would be easy to learn.  Even if your
partner is not sure how to teach it all they have to do is demonstrate
tactually what they are teaching on the screen.  You can pause it or rewind
it as many times as you need.  Then once you learn the steps and names for
each eight count following along with the DVD or in a class is simple.  They
tell you what and how long you are to do each thing during the work out.  I
myself have the DVD set and use to work out with my sister, now I can do it
by myself or I can go to a gym and feel confident that I will be able to
follow along.  It doesn't get boring because they have several different
work outs depending on what you want but they all work everything it is just
some have more of a focus.  The other option is to find an instructor at the
gym who would be willing to work with you a little ahead of time each day
until you have all of it down.  The instructor could also work with you
during class if you are having trouble with a particular step.  Work out
instructors are usually pretty helpful because they want everyone to be
healthy.  I know there are more options but these are my experiences I would
be interested to know if anyone ells has other ideas.  I would like to make
or have made a workout video series that is better explained for the blind.
I might have found zoomba easy because I have a dance background but I was
told that it can be picked up by anyone who wants to learn it.  It can be
difficult or easy for anyone sighted or blind but if you work at it it is
not only possible but worth it.

Andi