[nabs-l] clothes shopping

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 02:36:56 UTC 2011

Humberto,
Glad to know I'm not alone. Try and shop with a friend if you have one you
trust. Unfortunately, I don't have that.

Well, shopping for items that are not visual in nature like clothes,
decorations, and furniture is easier.
I have not done much shopping but here is what works.  so far.
I  make a mental note of what I want. If it is more than a short list, like
more than three or four items,
I braille out a list. For grocery stores, I also have a print list for the
clerk. I think that is helpful so they can skim the list and ensure you got
everything and also get items you need in the same asile.  What I mean is if
you are in the cereal aisle and something else is there, they can get it
with you. But if they do not have a list, they cannot do that. Keep track of
items too you've gotten by marking them off somehow on your list; scratch
the braille out or make a crayon mark or something. But its good to have
other eyeballs check the list IMO.
You do not want to get home and see you forgot an ingredient.

For other stores, I make a list sometimes. Then I go into the store and find
the cash register and ask for help. Often other customers come up to me and
then I say I'm looking for a store clerk for help and they either find them
or guide me to the counter.
This does not work for department stores because half the time customers
have their back to you as their browsing the racks or shelves and registers
are not fully staffed.
I wait for the clerk and then we walk together and get my items.  They tell
me what is available. Then if they just pick something, I ask questions and
feel the item. I cannot read most of the label, but I can feel the size of
the item. I check it before putting it in the basket and moving on. They
might say "we have soap in dove, Leever, and Ocean light" and I might ask
"how many per pack?" and if they are the same item and size I might ask
"what is on sale?" or  "how much is each item?"
Sometimes personnel try and take over if you don't talk to them much. They
just think oh I got her the soap, hand sanitizer, and lotion, so I'm done.
But shopping is about making decisions about what you want based on size,
brand, price and more. Soaps come in small bars, large ones, travel size,
and not to mention different brands and  scents just as an example.

I also found that browising the store's website is helpful for an overview
of products they have and if you are not sure and have a specific item or
two, call them and ask. My parents do that too. So its common among
consumers in general. If they are real nice, they might even tell you  what
store carries x item or brand if their location does not carry it.

For clothes I don't know. Maybe some magazines have good descriptions.
People learn about this stuff by browsing magazines, news ads, and window
shopping and we cannot do that.

Its easy for authorities to take over as you say and leave us out; not right
as we are the ones wearing it.

Ashley